Cardiac Obstetrics Clinic (COB)
Women with heart disease may be at high risk of developing cardiac and obstetrical complications during pregnancy resulting in increased maternal and fetal mortality. Our patients consist primarily of those with congenital heart disease and acquired heart disease (e.g. rheumatic heart disease or valvular heart disease), whose complications during pregnancy can result in heart failure, arrhythmias, stroke and even sudden death. Pregnant cardiac patients require specially trained experts to carry them through a successful pregnancy. The COB Clinic is a collaboration between Providence and BC Women’s Hospital.
We provide the following services:
- Pre-pregnancy assessment and counselling.
- Consultation and determination of cardiac risk for women who are pregnant.
- Prepartum/intrapartum/postpartum care for women who are pregnant.
- Case conference review by cardiology, obstetrics, anaesthesia, and maternal-fetal medicine.
- Development of individualized cardiac-obstetrical care plans.
- Patient and family education and psychosocial support.
- Collaborative support from Maternal Fetal Medicine, Obstetrical Internal Medicine and Genetics from BC Women’s and Children’s Hospitals.
Patients must be referred by a primary care physician, midwive, or specialist. Clinics are held every Monday from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Location and Contact
St. Paul’s Hospital
Room 5051, 1081 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6