Social Worker I (Master's) Centre for Research and Innovation
Reporting to the Social Work Coordinator and receiving overall professional guidance from the Professional Practice Leader, Social Work, the position supports the interdisciplinary team in achieving program and patient/client goals. Duties include providing therapeutic clinical counselling services, conducting comprehensive biopsychosocial assessments and maintaining patient/client records. Provides consultative and direct services to patients/clients, staff and health professionals regarding community resources. Coordinates clinical/case conferences, develops and delivers presentation for staff and maintains broad knowledge of development in the Social Work profession.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health and substance use issues, best practices and evidence-based practice.
- Demonstrated knowledge of patients living with substance use disorders, mental illness and other chronic and complex conditions (e.g. HIV, Hepatitis C).
- Demonstrated ability to undertake comprehensive psychosocial assessments that are informed by theoretical and conceptual frameworks, utilizing standardized tools and developing care plans in collaboration with clients/patients.
- Ability to identify and carry out appropriate therapeutic interventions with knowledge/understanding of past and current trauma, substance use and substance use disorder, violence prevention and transgender care.
- Demonstrates cultural awareness and the ability to provide culturally safe and appropriate care; demonstrated knowledge/understanding of impact of colonialism upon Indigenous patients/clients.
- Ability to assess, plan, organize, implement, evaluate and problem-solve.
- Ability to establish rapport with multi-barrier clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals, and other professionals within an interprofessional environment in diverse, marginalized populations.
- Ability to work effectively with others independently and as part of an interprofessional team and understanding the frameworks of other disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload in a complex environment.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of relevant Acts such as Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship Act, Health Care (Consent) and Care Facility (Admission) Act, Freedom of Information Act, pertinent regulations, policies and procedures, and other statutory duties.
- Ability to educate and provide consultation to patients/clients and healthcare professionals.
- Ability to develop, coordinate and deliver presentations.
- Ability to make effective referrals, reflecting in-depth knowledge of community resources and strong collaborative skills in working with other community partners.
- Comprehensive knowledge of client/patient-centered care, psychiatric diagnosis and professional practice guidelines for the treatment of various disorders.
- Demonstrated knowledge of psychiatric illnesses, interventions and impact on social functioning.
- Demonstrated therapeutic skills and the ability to apply theory and practice in the areas of case management counselling, individual therapy to patients/clients with a variety of mental health and substance use issues, and HIV/AIDS.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers, including related word processing and database management software applications.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
EducationMaster’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited university. Plus two (2) year’s recent, related experience working with diverse marginalized populations in the areas of HIV/AIDS, substance use/addictions and/or mental health or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
DutiesProvides therapeutic clinical counselling services to patients/clients by methods such as exploring the client’s present situation in to identify goals, problems, personal concerns and treatment objectives, facilitating change in coping styles, behaviors, attitudes and feelings, participating with patients/clients, community supports and interdisciplinary team to coordinate services, facilitating meetings and making referrals to appropriate resources.
Conducts comprehensive social work psychosocial assessments using methods such as interviewing the patient/client, obtaining relevant information, gathering social data regarding the patients/client’s environment, culture, living situation and financial status and interpreting the data to therapeutically impact the patient/client’s coping abilities.
Assesses patient/client needs and available services and develops treatment options with patient/client input. Facilitates patient/clients’ utilization of community services and rehabilitative programs through methods such as researching available services, liaising with service and program providers and providing advice and consultation to colleagues.
Provides referrals to appropriate community treatment alternatives and services, including recovery and residential programs, alcohol and drug treatment, victim assistance, employee assistance programs, transition homes, vocational programs, and other agencies. Utilizes available community resources to develop supportive and rehabilitative programs for patients/clients.
Formulates and implements treatment plans through methods such as negotiating a process for achieving goals, collaborating with members of the interprofessional team(s) and evaluating goals while maintaining respect for patient/client dignity and maximum client self-determination and independence.
Maintains patient/client records through electronic methods such as documenting assessments, charting information, preparing progress notes and reports in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures to meet regulatory requirements, documenting for future reference and ensuring that access to and disclosure of information and records are in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act.
Participates in a variety of team and/or case conferences through engaging in practice evaluation, identifying opportunities for change, assessing available resources, initiating solutions and analyzing outcomes.
Develops, coordinates and delivers education sessions/presentations to patients/clients, and staff in collaborations with other members of the interprofessional team. Reviews relevant content and required handouts, conducts literature search, plans and coordinates seminars.
Collaborates with appropriate program staff and physicians in the development and delivery of staff and physician education and training related to HIV/AIDS, HCV, substance use/addictions and/or mental health.
Maintains broad knowledge of developments in the Social Work profession by methods such as reviewing literature in specialty area, consulting with clinical and community experts within the field, and participating in clinical supervision and professional development activities to evaluate clinical practice and to improve care through new practices.
Participates in the development and evaluation of programs by collaborating with members of the interprofessional team, providing input and making recommendations to the Clinical Operations Leader, Program Director, and Physician Leaders as requested.
Maintains a variety of records such as workload statistics by methods such as recording information into approved formats, collating data, analyzing trends, accounting for variances and recommending an action plan to the Social Work Coordinator and/or Professional Practice Leader, Social Work.
Participates in the development of research protocols and conducts approved social work interdisciplinary research and special projects in collaboration with appropriate personnel through methods such as identifying current trends/gaps in literature, writing research proposals/grant applications, following through with research methodology and disseminating research findings. Ensures clinical practices and protocols are consistent with current research findings.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Providence Health Care is looking for Operating Room (OR) Registered Nurses. St. Paul’s Hospital is home to a 12 room tertiary level operating suite.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project