SummaryReporting to the Manager/Coordinator or designate, in accordance with established guidelines, the Referral Clerk receives, records and processes physician referral and re-referral requests, determines outpatient appointment priority, books related appointments and special procedures, requests, receives, records, stores and collates supporting patient documentation in addition to searching for and/or entering related data into the computerized information system.
Skills Required:Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
Knowledge of medical terminology.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Ability to deal with others effectively.
Ability to organize work.
Ability to operate related equipment.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Education and Experience Required:Grade 12 and two (2) years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
DutiesProcesses referrals and re-referrals received from physicians and hospital units by performing duties such as:
- Receiving/requesting referral information, patient demographics and other clinical data.
- Recording and/or entering a variety of information including consultation, dates, locations and types of examinations/procedures to complete patient schedules including name searches using the computerized information system to obtain information such as patient identification, agency identification, patient demographics and information on previous cancer sites.
- Creating new agency identification for the patient.
- Registering new patients according to agency standards for entering information.
- Electronically filing clinical documents in the electronic health record.
- Routing documents for physician review as required.
- Determines appointment priority by evaluating patient information such as patient history, test results and pertinent reports. Organizes and maintains a system for review of referrals by identifying concerns to physician/clinical staff as required and placing the referral in the designated area for review.
- Processes written or verbal instructions from triage physician, including activities such as initiating requisitions, requesting bookings such as diagnostic imaging, completing forms, and requesting additional documentation.
- Books new patient appointment by performing duties such as:
- Reviewing the triage record to obtain modality assignment of medical, radiation, surgical or gynecology consultation.
- Assigning the new patient appointment for the ambulatory care unit according to prioritization, pre-determined schedule or per triage instructions, referring queries regarding appointment as required.
- Reviewing suitability/availability and emergency bookings by communicating to the appropriate physicians.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
“How you want to be treated” is now a benchmark — for all of us, every day. Come work as a Registered Nurse in our ICU at St. Paul’s Hospital! …
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project