Coding Application Specialist, Coding Services
Health Information Management (HIM) provides services for Fraser Health (FH), Providence Health Care (PHC), the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). HIM is a leader in the collection, storage, and use of patient information within British Columbia. Providence Health Care is the lead organization for HIM, and employs over 1,350 HIM staff across Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky Corridor, the Sunshine Coast and the Regional Cancer Centres (Victoria, Kelowna, Prince George, Abbotsford, Surrey, Vancouver).
Reporting to the Manager, Coding Standards, Data Integrity and Projects, and working closely with the Coding Leadership Team, Coders, Data Analysts, IMIT and external Vendors, the Systems Applications Coordinator, Coding Services, is responsible for the computer program, and provides primary support of the assigned Coding computer application(s) within a specific Lower Mainland Health Information Services area including Med2020 WinRecs, 3M Codefinder, Meditech Abstracting and the BC Perinatal Database Registry.
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated ability to utilize and troubleshoot computer software applications and report writer tools, such as Crystal Report design, MS SQL Server Management Studio, the MS office suite (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint) MS Sharepoint and Meditech Non-Procedural Representation (NPR).
- Demonstrated ability to code in ICD-10-CA/CCI and abstract in the CIHI Discharge Abstract database and other databases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Case Mix Groups (CMGs), Comprehensive Ambulatory Classification System (CACS), Resource Intensity Weight (RIW) and Expected Length of Stay (ELOS).
- Ability to understand computer technology and communicate and interact effectively with computer vendors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work to deadlines under pressure, with minimal supervision and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to deal effectively with others, demonstrate leadership and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Knowledge of and ability to operate related computer programs and equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Graduation from an accredited Health Information Management Diploma or Bachelor Program.
- Five (5) years’ recent, related experience as a Health Record Administrator in a multi-service facility, including two years as a data analyst or systems application coordinator and one year as a Coder, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) Certified.
- Formal education in computer science/programming and project management would be an asset.
- Is responsible for the computer program, undertakes quality assurance initiatives for assigned Computer Software Systems, specific to Coding, such as WinRecs, 3M Codefinder, Meditech Abstracting and the Perinatal Database Registry and provides support for assigned applications such as system testing, changing/updating, setting up, and first-line troubleshooting.
- Is responsible for the computer program, undertakes quality assurance initiatives for assigned Computer Software Systems such as Med2020 WinRecs, 3M Codefinder, Meditech Abstracting and the Perinatal Database Registry, etc. and provides support for assigned applications by methods such as system testing, changing/updating, setting up, first-line troubleshooting.
- Determines and documents all system issues requiring escalation.
- Liaises between Coding Services and the vendor application specialist and/or IS for issues such as dictionary building, interfaces, and integration with other clinical information systems as well as designing reports.
- Liaises and meets with with other information systems coordinators/specialists in the Lower Mainland and other Health Authorities to exchange information and expertise on current and future implementations.
- Acts as primary contact to third party vendors that affect or interact with the Coding Software Systems.
- Serves as the primary contact with CIHI with respect to the implementation of new programs or system updates/changes for the Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and the National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS).
- Oversees projects that affect the assigned applications by methods such as modifying the applications, providing project direction and specifications, and building dictionaries.
- Writes custom reports and edits routine reports as required.
- Maintains the LM Health Information Management
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Providence Health Care is looking for Operating Room (OR) Registered Nurses. St. Paul’s Hospital is home to a 12 room tertiary level operating suite.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project