Clinical Support Clerk
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager or designate and receiving work direction from the Clinical Nurse Leader(s), Charge Nurse(s) and Physician(s), the Clinical Support Clerk performs a variety of duties such as scheduling, admitting, secretarial and clerical duties for a clinical area(s). The Clinical Support Clerk assists with transmitting information to visitors, patients/clients, family members, hospital staff and other individuals by notifying or directing and transferring them to appropriate personnel or hospital locations; receiving and answering questions in accordance with established procedures. Schedules and books appointments and/or processes admissions/transfers/discharges by obtaining patient/client information, entering patient/client information into computerized registration and/or scheduling system, booking time slots and/or rescheduling appointments as required. Performs secretarial and clerical duties such as checking patient/client record in computerized registration and/or scheduling system for booking and test result information, sends/receives test results to appropriate health care personnel, performs reception duties, types, files and stores documents, enters and maintains data and orders supplies.
- Ability to keyboard at 40 w.p.m.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
EducationGrade 12, two years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Greets and receives individuals entering clinical area, identifies who they are coming to see, answers questions, provides routine information, and escorts individuals to rooms, ensuring that all individuals have a positive experience.
- Transmits information to and from hospital staff, physicians, patients/clients, family members, visitors and other individuals by notifying or directing and transferring them to appropriate personnel or hospital locations; and receiving telephone calls, emails and taking messages.
- Receives patient/client and/or physician/health care professional requests for patient/client appointments. Schedules and books patient appointments by entering patient/client information into computerized registration and/or scheduling system, booking a time slot, making follow-up appointments and canceling or adjusting patient appointments. Identifies concerns to physician/clinical staff as required.
- Contacts appropriate areas such as doctor’s offices, community pharmacies, patients/clients, other clinical areas and departments or hospitals to confirm appointments, and provide or obtain documentation.
- Verifies patient/client record in computerized registration and/or scheduling system prior to visit/admission and ensures requested procedures are booked and results are in the system. Uploads patient/client records as needed. Assists with room set ups or moves.
- Performs admission/transfer/discharge duties as required by clinical area/site by interviewing patients, obtaining information such as personal details, completing a variety of standard forms such as medical insurance billing cards, entering information into the computerized Admission, Discharge & Transfer and/or Patient Care Administration System according to established procedures, printing out keyed data as required for consent form, explaining hospital policies and consent form, and obtaining signatures as required.
- Follows up on patient/client services such as diet tray orders, collection, tracking and storage of patient belongings, distributing/collecting patient/client surveys for completion, and picking up and delivering items to clinical area.
- Schedules patient/client appointments for diagnostic tests through the computerized registration and/or scheduling system in areas such as Radiology and the Laboratory and contacts patients/clients to provide pre-appointment instructions as appropriate.
- Maintains downtime procedures and reports in accordance with established procedures such as distributing materials in downtime carts.
- Provides support as required by site for clinical area processes either electronically by contacting Switchboard or dialing appropriate phone numbers for actions for specified codes as per established procedures and guidelines.
- Types and/or maintains a variety of materials such as correspondence, memos, lists, reports, labels and medical billings from written drafts, revisions or dictating machines. Photocopies, scans, files, compiles, disassembles and distributes materials as required.
- Arranges meetings by performing duties such as booking rooms and equipment, typing and circulating notices and agenda, and taking and typing minutes.
- Enters information into various data bases. Generates operational statistical reports by collecting, extracting, entering, and compiling data and preparing or printing reports as per established procedures.
- As required, arranges transportation for patient required for transfer and/or appointments by methods such as contacting patient escort, family members or designated drivers pursuant to appointment times and other time schedules.
- Maintains office supplies to pre-determined levels by performing duties such as identifying depleting stock, completing supply requisitions according to established procedures and forwarding to Stores. Stocks office supplies as required.
- Maintains tidiness of work areas by wiping down work stations, desk tops, and equipment as per established procedures.
- Monitors designated email boxes or voicemail and communicates information to supervisor or charge nurse regarding staff illness or absences from work. Transmits flow sheets to staffing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Foundry is looking for a collaborative and skilled program manager with a strong understanding of youth and family peer support services. This position will support our ongoing development, research, and evaluation of Peer Support programming in centres across the province.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project