Clerk IV Registration Health Records
Reporting to the Manager and/or designate, the Registration and Health Records clerk performs a variety of registration and records processing functions. They register patients (including inpatients, outpatients, ambulatory care patients and emergency patients) in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system and process preadmissions, admissions, and discharges. They identify and provide available bed options to appropriate clinical staff as requested. The clerk performs records processing duties such as assembly, retrieval and delivery of records; filing, identifying, verifying, and correcting patient information and perform clerical duties related to the release of patient information for continuity of care. They perform other related clerical duties as required.
- Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
EducationGrade 12 and two years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Interviews patients, relatives and/or family to obtain registration information, such as relevant personal and demographic information and responsibility for payment, and registers patient in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system. Processes preadmissions.
- Completes and prints registration forms related to the documentation of patients and forwards this information to appropriate departments. Obtains signatures as appropriate. Prepares and applies identity bands to patients.
- Accesses HealthNet as required to determine the patient’s healthcare number (PHN) or assigns a new PHN if required. Searches other databases as required.
- Receives payments for non-resident and self-pay charges and medical/surgical supplies; issues receipts; explains hospital policy regarding deposits and room differentials. Receives and records patient valuables for safekeeping.
- Identifies available bed booking options by reviewing patient information, reviewing and maintaining list of available beds and comparing patient information to available beds. If requested, provides available bed options to appropriate clinical staff.
- Follows established quality assurance procedures by reviewing and editing patient data; produces audit reports as requested.
- Retrieves patient records according to established policies and procedures, and maintains and updates records utilizing computerized record location systems.
- Performs record processing functions related to patient records by performing duties such as assembly, identifying, verifying and correcting patient information utilizing the computerized Admission, Discharge Transfer and/or Electronic Health Record System, checking for discharges and/or previous admissions, processing patient folders and documents, merging duplicate files, making up folders, photocopying, and printing chart labels, and filing as required.
- Responds to requests by locating patient charts and delivering records. Refers unusual requests to the Manager/Coordinator and/or designate.
- Performs clerical duties, as applicable, related to the electronic records scanning process by performing duties such as picking up charts from unit(s), prepping for scanning, scanning, indexing within the computerized scanning application and verifies accuracy.
- Follows up with other areas regarding problems with documentation such as questionable encounters, duplicate registrations and merges. Takes the appropriate steps to correct or resolve problems as required. Initiates edits and merges duplicate numbers as required.
- Answers inquiries related to the release of patient information for urgent continuity of care by performing duties such as receiving request and releasing in accordance with established procedures. Refers problems or other inquiries as appropriate to Manager/Coordinator or designate.
- Assists the Supervisor with the release of bodies if applicable by performing duties such as verifying paperwork, notifying the Supervisor of paperwork deficiencies, recording deaths in the Death (Vital Statistics) Register, and entering patient departure from the morgue into the admissions/discharge/transfer system.
- Performs reception duties and related clerical functions by methods such as answering telephone, transferring to appropriate personnel, taking messages, booking outpatient appointments, directing visitors, and providing routine information in accordance with department standards. Photocopies and distributes documents as required.
- Maintains sufficient levels of stationery supplies for the department according to predetermined levels by checking stock on hand, completing internal requisitions and forwarding to designated supervisor for approval.
- Calls in relief staff (sick calls) after hours according to an established list and procedures.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of various alarms at the assigned site according to established procedures.
- Demonstrates own work procedures to co-workers and students.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
We are looking for Registered Nurses that have a passion for providing care to patients with complex health needs. Our Urban Health Medical Unit at St.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project