Clerk IV Emergency Admitting
SummaryReporting to the Leader, Access Services or designate, the clerk:
- performs a variety of duties related to the admission, transfer, and discharge of patient’s to/from the hospital
- collects information
- enters patient demographic and insurance information into a computerized system such as Admission Transfer Discharge (ADT) Computer system
- explains consent forms, fee for services, and hospital policies to patients or delegate and witnesses signatures on forms
- using patient data gathered in computerized system, generates bed booking options and communicates information to senior staff who will make decisions on bed assignments
- receives patient valuables for temporary storage
- collects payments, reconciles accounts and issues receipts
- performs a variety of clerical and reception duties such as maintaining filing systems, photocopying, filing and answering general inquiries from the public, staff, patients, and physicians
- Ability to type 40 wpm
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to organize work. Ability to operate related equipment
EducationGrade 12, plus two year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Interviews patients or designate, in person or on the telephone, in order to obtain British Columbia Hospital Program and Medical Service Plan information required to determine eligibility for benefits and admit patient to hospital.
- Enters information into the Admitting, Discharge & Transfer (ADT) System in order to pre-admit, admit, transfer, or discharge patient.
- Searches the database for patient’s Personal Health Number and ensures that it is active and enters active date in ADT System.
- Photocopies visa, immigration papers and other related documentation required for Hospital Program and Medical Service Plan eligibility.
- Obtains patient drug profiles from the database per established procedures.
- Generates patient admission related documentation such as admission form, identification bands, addressograph plate and Workers’ Compensation Board forms as required.
- Enters patient visit information into the Patient Clinical Information System in order to capture visit activity.
- Identifies bed booking options utilizing system data collected and entered and communicates information to Clinical Coordinators and/or Patient Placement Clerks in order that bed assignment decisions can be made.
- Updates computerized systems such as ADT by completing transfer and discharge transactions in a timely fashion as identified by nursing units and/or hospital census reports from Providence Health Care sites.
- Explains hospital policy matters such as deposits and room differentials and collects deposits or payment for preferred accommodation in accordance with these policies.
- Explains hospital fee for service payment schedules and policies.
- Collects payments, reconciles accounts and issues receipts for out-of-country, out-of-province, and self-pay patients.
- Explains various hospital permanent and temporary consent forms to patients and/or relatives and obtains required signatures(s).
- Other duties are required.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Do you want to make meaningful change for people who use drugs? We’re seeking someone who loves connecting with people, organization, and social justice to join the Vancouver Injection Drug User Study research team at the BC Centre on Substance Use. Come join us in this dynamic team environment!…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project