Clerk IV Booking/Program
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
Reporting to the Operations Leader or designate and receiving work direction from the Physicians, the position performs admitting, secretarial and clerical duties for designated clinic. Schedules and books outpatient appointments and admits patients by interviewing and obtaining personal patient information. Performs secretarial and clerical duties such as arranging meetings, maintaining appointment diaries, typing technical and non-technical material, data entry, filing and reception duties.
- Ability to type at 40 wpm
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Grade 12, two years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Schedules and books appointments by methods such as receiving appointment request or referral, entering patient information into the computerized health information system, booking a time slot, making follow-up appointments, cancelling or adjusting patient appointments, booking appropriate tests, and contacting patients to provide pre-appointment instructions for test procedures or clinic appointments.
- As required, contacts doctor’s offices, nursing units, and other departments to request patient information. Contacts patients to set up and confirm appointments.
- Telephones or transmits test results and medical information to physicians and others according to established procedures.
- Admits patients by interviewing patients, obtaining information such as personal details, completing a variety of standard forms such as medical insurance billing cards, entering information into the computerized health information system according to established procedures, printing out keyed data as required for consent form, explaining consent form to patients, and obtaining signatures as required.
- Performs reception duties by answering telephone calls, greeting patients and visitors, and hospital staff. Answers inquiries and directs or transfers them to appropriate personnel and places by taking messages and providing routine information and escorting patients to rooms.
- Sets up and maintains filing systems for materials such as correspondence, patient test results and reports by performing duties such as creating and labeling files, assembling and maintaining files/charts, filing material as appropriate and retrieving information such as patient charts prior to patient visit or for designated personnel.
- Reviews files to ensure procedures are booked and results are in the files/charts.
- Types a variety of technical and non-technical material such as correspondence, memos, minutes, reports and medical billings from written drafts, revisions or dictating machines.
- Performs other clerical duties such as data entry, photocopies, scans, and distributes materials as required. Arranges meetings. Faxes staff attendance to staffing office as needed.
- If required, assists clinic nurse with completion of OR Booking packages by filling out patient demographic information on the booking form and faxing requisitions to departments in accordance with established procedures.
- Schedules patient appointments for diagnostic tests in areas such as Radiology and the Laboratory and contacts patients to provide pre-appointment instructions as appropriate.
- Maintains downtime procedures and reports in accordance with established procedures such as distributing materials in downtime carts.
- Generates operational statistical reports by collecting, extracting, entering, and compiling data and preparing reports as per established procedures.
- Maintains tidiness of work areas by wiping down work stations, desk tops, and equipment as per established procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
The Post Anaesthetic Care Unit (PACU) is transitioning to a combined unit with Surgical Day Care (SDC/PACU) to align with the model of care that will be implemented at the new St. Paul’s Hospital on Terminal Avenue.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project