An outbreak was declared at Parkview Unit (5th Floor) of Youville on November 19, 2020 by Public Health Officers after 2 health care workers tested positive for COVID-19.
No Parkview patients or Youville residents have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Out of an abundance of caution, enhanced surveillance and infection control measures have been implemented and an outbreak of COVID-19 has been formally declared.
The following steps are being taken, effective immediately:
- Testing of all Parkview staff and patients. Apart from the two staff members noted above, there have been no further positive diagnoses.
- Stringent infection control measures in Parkview, including screening of everyone before they enter the building, enhanced environmental cleaning, and emphasis on proper PPE usage and hand hygiene.
- Parkview patient group activities and non-essential services have been put on hold to minimize risk. Individualized patient rehab treatments are continuing within patient rooms.
- Essential visits only between Parkview patients and their families. (Social visits are on hold.)
- Family visitation to Youville Residence 2nd and 3rd floor to continue as per the current process.
- New and separate change rooms for Parkview staff.
- Ensuring separation of Parkview and Youville staff coming on shift by dividing main vestibule into two separate entry ways to main entrance; Staff going off shift leave by rear basement doors. There is no staff traffic between Parkview and Youville floors.
- Ensuring separate cleaning staff/teams for Parkview and Youville.
- Increased Parkview staff education sessions by Infection Prevention & Control (IPAC).
Public Health will continue to closely manage and monitor the situation. Further measures for infection control may be directed by Public Health, as required.